Monday, July 14, 2008

Flag day

After all the research, discussion, waiting and nerves, Flag day arrived in mid August. The next 2 years of our lives rested on the announcement made this afternoon and I was not just a little nervous. Marlan is the nomad in our family; I am the tree that wants to send down a giant tap root and stay put. We have lived in many places and I have enjoyed them all. It just takes a little nudging to get me over the change hump--and this was going to be a really BIG change!





Each post was represented by it's country flag, all arranged together in front of the group. As each flag was raised and the country was shouted out by the group, the officer assigned to that post was announced. There were cheers, clapping hands, a few gasps, but no discernable sobs or wailing. I suspect there weren't too many surprises. I do know that one of the women in Marlan's class really wanted to go to Guate and was assigned to Africa. Yikes.
Glad it wasn't us!



Marlan with his Guatemalan flag and a BIG smile!

1 comment:

stace said...

fun to read about your adventures even if I have heard them all before!!