Saturday, July 19, 2008

Sugar anyone?


Can you guess which cannister holds the sugar? Hint: see the remnants of US sugar in the bottom. That's powdered sugar on the left and Bisquick on the right. You are thinking, "why is that sugar brown?" I don't really know. The sugar here in Guate is much coarser than C&H and the govt fortifies it with Vit A. It seems to work just the same, but is looks a bit dirty...

For the most part, we can get the food items we're used to, with a few exceptions I've found so far:

  • diced green chilis in the can--I diced some jalapenos and it worked just fine.
  • buttermilk--how do I make German choc cake and Staci's pancakes without this? I have asked about it in the market, but it's hard to describe...and after I try in my limited Spanish to describe it, they still don't have it. I'm down to 1 packet of dried buttermilk and I KNOW they don't sell that.
  • rice chex--haven't found a suitable substitute to make puppy chow. Suggestions?

1 comment:

Marlan said...

Suggestion: Don't eat puppy chow. It is sick.